Thursday, November 5, 2009

Snobbery

There are things in this world that I am just too cool for-- things that I look down on. I have compiled a short list below. I do not defend my snobbery of these things, I merely acknowledge it.

1. Flu shots
2. Energy drinks
3. Turtlenecks
4. Books by Nicholas Sparks
5. Books by Ayn Rand -even though I've read them all, some more than once
6. Rich people
7. scrapbooking and card making
8. People who look down on Relief Society
9. Limes
10. tootsie rolls
11. skipping
12. The movie "Happy Feet."
13. This is the strongest of all my snobbery and the most unfortunate: People who are snobs to other people.

I realize that there are many of you who like the things I have listed. I don't look down on you. It's a love the sinner hate the sin type deal. Feel free to confess your own snobbery in comments.

7 comments:

Lisa Lou said...

hAHAHAHA!!! Whenever I see people skipping (which actually isn't that often, unless I'm on BYU campus) I think of you. And your hatred for skipping. Maybe not so much hatred, as extreme annoyance and embarassment for those skipping.
Sometimes I feel snobbery towards those long, beady necklaces. And McDonalds.

Katie Lewis said...

Man, I am totally with you on Happy Feet. Most terrible, awkward movie ever. Also, I would like to list a few things I feel snobbish about myself. Ahem...

1. Clapping along with music
2. All things tacky (i.e. ugly, cheap, junky, etc.)
3. Butterfly anything
4. Fun foam anything
5. Toys that light up and make noise/ electronic toys (the one exception possibly being a exersaucer of sorts)
6. Baby Einstein anything
7. Wal-Mart clothes (except baby stuff that you could buy elsewhere and just happens to be cheaper there)
8. The "cougar" ring tone on BYU campus phones
9. Having any actual song as a ring tone
10. Red Delicious apples

Bridget said...

Hilarious. I'm with you on 3, 4, 8, and 12, among others.

Kathy Haynie said...

I'm a snob about watching reality TV shows. Actually, watching any TV shows, but especially reality shows.

And reading romance novels. No good, no good.

Rebecca said...

I'm okay with you snubbing everything on your list except for limes. Limes are awesome. And tasty (lime-cilantro rice, lime cake with lime glaze, brazilian lime-ade, lime in water, lime straight up chased with water). And let's not forget that there have been times that limes were the tangible representation of social capital (Little Women, anyone?).

But then again, you shouldn't trust me. On Monday I skipped, arms linked, with my roommate.

gork said...

Hey Anna-
Long time no see, had to post this:

I am a snob when it comes to Ayn Rand. I do think less of people who call her a "philosopher" "genius" or even "decent writer." Must be my inner raging liberal.

Also, country music that isn't:
Johhny Cash
Waylon Jennigns
Willie Nelson

Katie said...

I do love skipping and Ayn Rand. I am a snob about people saying can I instead of may I, when people are late, and I do hate turtle necks. Especially on men, yuck!