Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Best Halloween Ever


Who would have thought that Jojo would wear her costume the whole time...no complaining.


And Soapy is a princess...of course. (Though, last minute she begged to be a jaguar. Can you believe it Trish?)


Side note: an unexpected bonus to being married to Chris is that he gets progressively hotter every year.

It really was the best Halloween ever. There were pumpkins, there was candy, and there were two unbelievably excited little girls. Trick or Treating was soooo fun. We were out knocking on doors and I thought,"Wow! This is awesome! I could do this all night! I don't remember trick or treating being this fun. Is it more boring when you are younger?"

But then I remembered, I only went trick or treating once as a kid. I spent most of my elementary school days in Honduras. Halloween is not so big in countries where people don't have any money. One year, a few American families banded together to try and give us kids the real experience of Trick or Treating. We only visited the houses of other Americans who knew about the outing...or that was the plan. I don't know if we went to the wrong house, or if this American family had forgotten to tell their guards. (Note: In the area where the Americans and the wealthy lived everyone had guards.) So we came up to the gate, rang the bell, and sang out "Trick or Treat!!!" presenting our charming, costumed selves to the guards. At first they were confused by our costumes, but then they saw our little arms reaching out and they knew exactly what we were: beggars. That's when they started yelling curse words at us and brandishing their weapons, telling us to leave. I'm pretty sure they looked exactly like this:



Uh, except they were Honduran, not Somalian. And there may have been only two. And they may have not exactly pointed their guns at us. But that was the feeling my eight year old self got.

After bursting into tears, we got out of there as fast as we could. I guess the parents decided that was enough rick or treating for us because they took us back home after that. Happy Third World Country Halloween.

Anyway, this Halloween was tons better. Our next Halloween will be in Germany. Chris doesn't remember what trick or treating was like there, but I know some of you do. Is it as fun?

5 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

How fun! The girls are SUPER adorable in their costumes.

Also, that's funny that it's an "unexpected" bonus. Not sure what that means for Chris. Haha.

Oh, and I'm glad I didn't grow up in a 3rd world country. That sounds not so fun.

Kathy Haynie said...

Love the photos. Especially the last one.

Becky said...

Funny! When do you go to Germany!?! Sounds exciting...and more fun than third world country "fun".

Bryan Lewis said...

I never went trick-or-treating in Germany. Some kids in my class did, but it was awkward because they were like 11 and 12, which seems a little too old to go trick-or-treating.

I think some German neighborhoods tried to do it, but it was a pretty recent idea, and I don't think it ever caught on.

Bridget said...

Hahahahaha, good story.