Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I am bad at baking.

I really am. I just realized it tonight. I'm 32 and I always thought I was okay at baking but I did such a miserable job tonight that it made me think back to all my other baking projects and I realized this: I am bad at baking. I simply can't commit to taking the cookies out before they are a little burned. I never trust the recipe/timer. They always look underdone. So I wait and then I burn them. I just made two batches of cookies for the Christmas Market (Snickerdoodle and chocolate chip). Half of them are burned. I didn't want to tell her at the time, but I was talking to Becky while I baked, and I kind of think some of them were her fault. Becky. For shame.

Also guess who called me just as I was burning my last batch? Chris! He's in Kandahar now! No more missions! No more MRE's! No more tents! The chance of death has greatly diminished for him! Hooray! It was so good to talk to him. I have been getting a lot of calls lately about his coming home and they have been making me nervous, because whenever THE ARMY calls me there is always the possibility they have some bad news about Chris. So it's nice to see his face again, you know, to make sure it's still there.

Also, I thought Chris was coming home next Thursday, but it looks like it will be a few days later. So I'm not cleaning the house for a few more days.


3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

I know that last paragraph was really just there to throw us all off the trail, but whatevs. So glad he's someplace safer and that he'll be home SO SOON!

Also, man, it's only been in the past year or so that I've finally started to live on the edge and take the cookies out even though they don't look done yet. Consequently, it's been the best cookie year of my life. Just sayin'.

Kathy Haynie said...

You are allowed to burn the whole stove for a call from Chris. Here's hoping the plans change again and he gets to come home even sooner. Boo to delayed arrival. Hang in there!

Becky said...

I'm bad at baking too. Everything tastes better when someone else bakes it anyway. I wasn't the Becky distracting you on the phone....though....I wish I was.

SO happy Chris is safer. I can't imagine being way from my best friend that long. Military wives are amazing to me!